Donate. I desperately need donations to survive due to my health

Get paid by answering surveys Click here

Click here to donate

Remote/Work from Home jobs

Etherenet Level FCS

I have been all over this website (and others) trying to learn how to disable FCS checking of the an Ethernet frame. I have two Raspberry Pi's (running Rasperion) connected sending and reading raw Ethernet frames. I am using some HW in the middle of the two Pi's to flip some bits on the wire, but not recalculate the Ethernet FCS. I am attempting to use ethtool to disable FCS reading before passing the frame but it doesn't seem to be working, as I can see in /ifconfig that my frames that are being sent being passed to eth0 of the receiver, being errored and then dropped.

after reading through similar topics, I am getting mixed information on what really controls the FCS check, the OS or the NIC? One post on Wireshark forums sudgested that the FreeBSD would allow for passing of the CRC. A post on this website said that you need specific hardware/drivers to allow for these frames to be read.

Any help on the subject would be appreciated. The end goal being to disable FCS checking on any type of OS. (ethtool -K eth0 rx off does not work, and frames are still dropped)

Edit 1: I am looking for an Ethernet dongle that would allow me to turn off the FCS of the network card. somethin like the command: sudo ethtool -K eth0 rx-fcs on rx-all on

Comments