Donate. I desperately need donations to survive due to my health

Get paid by answering surveys Click here

Click here to donate

Remote/Work from Home jobs

Spark 2.4.0 doesn't work with JDK 11 : “Unsupported minor major version 55” on classes within org.apache.xbean package

Few months ago, I checked among spark pages, it was not very clear on how Spark standed JDK 9+. I believed it could.

And for months after, I've been lucky. Calling mainly lookup() functions on RDDs, it was running fine. I was confident. Using Spark 2.3.2, I migrated to JDK 11 to enjoy the new features it offers for the others components I use, expecially business objects.

But today, I had to call a collect() function on a RDD and then Spark 2.3.2 fails on an IllegalArgumentException somewhere inside its org.apache.xbean package, with no message.
Still lucky, I discovered that a new version is here : the Spark 2.4.0, that came this month of November and I installed it. Spark still fails with an IllegalArgumentException but now a message is coming :

"Unsupported minor major version 55" : it doesn't stand JDK 11, in fact.

I am trapped, I cannot run backward. All the software around has reached Java 11 without troubles.

– What are those classes inside that package org.apache.xbean ? May I find a newer version for them that accepts JDK 11 ?

– What is the root of the problem ? A serial of Apache projects (Spark and few other like that xbean) that have gone too far in technicity / complexity and are now unable to reach JDK 11 ? Is it coming from Spark memory management that I red it was using some tricks ? I have not enough knowledge to figure what they might have done and why they cannot return to classical memory management.

– Is there anything that can help me (not revoking my code from JDK 11 to 8 : this is not the way of History) ?

– Do you have some knowledge if it is planned that Spark will support JDK 11 on a later 2.x version ?

Regards,

Comments