Donate. I desperately need donations to survive due to my health

Get paid by answering surveys Click here

Click here to donate

Remote/Work from Home jobs

Showing an Array as a grid in Applet Window and being able to click individual cells to change them

Already asked this question, but not very well, so I am trying again. I am coding Conway's Game of Life in an Applet, I know, outdated and useless, but it's for a class. I have coded a 40x40 array of false items. I have coded a nextGen array that will be updated based on number of neighbors. I have coded what will happen to each cell based on number of living cells around it. I have coded clicking to make the selected cell be alive or dead based on what it currently is. And I have the code created for counting all cells near a specific cell. The only thing I need help with is transferring the array into the applet window as an a grid that can be clicked on to update cells from dead to alive.

This is part of the template we were given and what I have, I hope it's what you need to get started.

import java.awt.*;
import javax.swing.*;
import java.awt.event.MouseListener;
import java.util.Arrays;
import java.awt.event.MouseEvent;
import java.awt.event.ActionListener;
import java.awt.event.ActionEvent;

public class ForCs120 extends JApplet
{

JFrame myFrame = new JFrame();
JPanel aPanel = new JPanel();
JButton aButton = new JButton("Next Generation");
JButton clearButton = new JButton("Clear Board");

private boolean isLiving;
public void setAlive(boolean alive) 
{
    isLiving = alive;
}

public boolean isLiving() 
{
    return this.isLiving;
}


private class ButtonListener implements ActionListener
{
 public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent e)
 {
 }
}

ButtonListener aButtonListener = new ButtonListener();

private class ClearButtonListener implements ActionListener
{
    public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent e)
    {
    }
 }
ClearButtonListener clear = new ClearButtonListener();

public void init()
{
    JRootPane rootPane = this.getRootPane();    
    rootPane.putClientProperty("defeatSystemEventQueueCheck", Boolean.TRUE);
    this.addMouseListener(myListener);
    aButton.setSize(150,150);
  aButton.addActionListener(aButtonListener);
  clearButton.addActionListener(clear);
  myFrame.setSize(200,200);
  aPanel.setSize(200,200);
  aPanel.add(aButton);
  aPanel.add(clearButton);
  myFrame.add(aPanel);
  myFrame.setVisible(true);

Comments